Wednesday 8 April 2009

Visual review/drawing memories of David Byrne



Not strictly archive related I know but it was such an amazing concert that I had to think of a way to mention it! I'm talking about David Byrne's recent performance on Tuesday 31 March at the Glasgow Royal Concert Hall. I'm pretty sure it's the first time I've been to a gig where the artist gets a standing ovation before they've even started.

I was looking on David Byrne's blog to see if there were any reviews of the gig when I came across this wonderful review by Jenny Soep. I just love the idea of a visual review, maybe review isn't even the right word, as she explains on her website that the drawings are created at the event, whilst the music is playing, so in this sense it really is a record of the event (aha, there's my archive link!). The drawings are so vibrant and full of life that I think they do a much better job of giving an impression of the concert than most reviews could. As a result I am going to resist from going on about how wonderful the gig was and let Jenny's drawings do the talking.












All images are © 2000-2009 by Jenny Soep (info@jennysoep.com) and may not be reproduced in any form without written permission

No comments:

Post a Comment